Welcome back fellow ePoolSupply supporters! As you may or may not be aware, it is National Water Safety Month! As most pool owners open their pools this time of year, May is a fitting month for water safety awareness. Water is an attraction during the summer months. Whether we’re drawn to lakes and rivers or public pools and water slides, safety is a necessary concern. We use the water for leisure, sport, and general outdoor relaxation. Boating with or without motors, swimming, fishing, and many other kinds of recreation take place in and around the water. So, what is National Water Safety Month all about?
What is National Safety Month?
National Water Safety Month takes place annually each May and is proclaimed as a joint effort of the World Waterpark Association, the American Red Cross, the National Recreation and Park Association, and the Pool & Hot Tub Alliance. Since 2003, members of the Coalition have worked to raise awareness and highlight the importance of public education regarding safer practices for kids and adults when they are in and around water of all kinds. The National Water Safety Month campaign plays a foundational role in leading the conversation about how to keep families safer in the water. The initiative to strengthen water safety education has led to national media coverage, improved legislation, and critical advocacy efforts throughout the U.S.
What is the purpose of water safety?
Education and training in water safety are intended to help prevent and raise awareness of accidental drowning and other water-related accidents and deaths. Water safety refers to the procedures, precautions, and policies associated with safety in, on, and around bodies of water, where there is a risk of injury or drowning. It has applications in several occupations, sports, and recreational activities. These actions will help your family avoid emergencies and help you respond if an emergency occurs. Paying close attention to children or weak swimmers you are supervising in or near water. Knowing the signs that someone is drowning.
Here at ePoolSupply, we like to keep our customers educated about pool safety. Pool safety ranges from special equipment to regulating the chemical distribution, signage, and warnings to deter misbehavior or even physical barriers to prevent accidents. Here are some tips on how to keep safe during swim season.
- Supervision - Reminding everyone to be aware of their surroundings will help prevent accidents.
- Pool Activity - Educate everybody who comes in or near your pool to be careful around the wet edges and to not get too rambunctious in the pool water will help keep everybody safe.
- Learn To Swim - Solid swimming skills are a must but do not assume you can let your guard down around anybody who says they know how to swim
- CPR Education - We highly recommend you, your family and your friends take time to learn CPR as soon as possible.
- Enforce Pool Rules - To combat misbehavior, establish and enforce easy-to-follow rules for your pool and patio.
- Secure Your Pool - Installing a physical barrier around the pool will prevent unwanted entry and help keep everybody safe.
If you want to read more about pool safety please read the blog we have written this year!
In conclusion, with it being National Water Safety Month, we highly recommend updating you, your friends, and your family's knowledge of pool safety. The National Water Safety Month campaign plays a foundational role in leading the conversation about how to keep families safer in the water. The initiative to strengthen water safety education has led to national media coverage, improved legislation, and critical advocacy efforts throughout the U.S.